ABOUT THE TOUR
This is your chance to experience a Malaysian Wet Market from the comforts of your lazy chair at home.
In this 1+ hour online experience our Local Guide will ZOOM you around 2 exciting neighborhoods; Kampung Baru and Chow Kit Market!
You haven’t truly done justice to your visit in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia until you have wandered its fresh markets. Take in the sights of its produce, understand how these markets impact and play a role in the lives of local Malaysians and fellow immigrants of the country.
Chow Kit Market is one of the largest wet markets in the city of Kuala Lumpur. It is named after the former tin miner and public figure, Loke Chow Kit.
Chow Kit Market divides into two sections: the wet and dry market. The wet market is known locally as Bazaar Baru Chow Kit. Walk through the stalls and expect to see everything from hanging meat carcasses to freshly caught fish lining the narrow passageway, endless varieties of tropical fresh fruits and vegetables and all manner of Malaysian specialties and ingredients from curry pastes, herbs, spices fill the stalls at rock bottom prices.
The dry market of Malay heritage and origins features a more tourist-friendly setting selling prayer clothing, textiles and street food such as Apam Balik, Peneram, Keropok Lekor, Murtabak and many more.
Explore with us the must-have KL Street Food and market, as well as enjoy local beef noodles at the end of the food trail and learn some Malay words and language in preparation for your next trip to Malaysia.
Hear the stories of local communities and get to know the local heroes (local entrepreneurs) who have stood the test of COVID.
*Sign up with us at the start of your Malaysia epic journey, speak with us and share your itineraries so you can get the best local insights from our experienced guides who are avid fellow travelers like yourself discovering the true beauty of our country Malaysia. If you like our guides can suggest local tips and recommendations for the city and beyond to make your experience complete and truly memorable.
- The people of Malaysia: Understand the unique demographics of Malaysia, and how it influences the diversity of Malaysian street food in the market. If we’re lucky we’ll get to say hi to one or two vendors.
- Village experience and KL city view: Catch a Kodak-moment of the Golden Triangle with a view of KL’s skyscrapers including the beautiful Petronas Twin Towers.
- Wet Market Experience: Enjoy the market scene as we explore Kuala Lumpur’s largest wet market. You will get a chance to discover the changes and challenges of the vendors in the wet market since COVID happened. And of course, we will share with you, the best of Malaysia’s street food including street snacks and learn about eating on a five-foot way – the Malaysian way!
- Malaysian market produces: Learn about Malaysia’s freshest produce meat, vegetables, herbs (the local pharmacy) and fruits. Our guide takes you along to shop to create a Malaysian signature dish: Beef Rendang. In the process of shopping, you will learn what it takes to create this beautiful dish. We will include the recipe for you to try at home after the tour.
- A live professional and friendly guide
- A traditional Malaysian recipe will be shared with you after the tour.
- It’s a virtual tour… all is INCLUDED virtually!
individual and group reservations
- All our tours start with a minimum of 2 reservations. Would you like to book as an individual? We try to accommodate your reservation at the best price by adding you to an existing booking. Please contact us to check if we can add you to an existing booking. If we are unable to find another booking that suits your schedule we charge a minimum of 2 individuals to start the tour.
- Special arrangements can be made for larger groups. Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for inquiries.